The D2 visa for Portugal is intended for non-EU foreign nationals who wish to engage in independent professional activities or who are migrant entrepreneurs.
Our Portugal immigration agents assist all foreign nationals who wish to apply for this type of visa or for others, such as the digital nomad visa.
The visa is applied for at the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate in the person’s country of origin and it allows the holder to remain in the country for a limited time, however, subject to subsequent extensions.
The Portugal D2 visa can be an ideal opportunity to enter the country for long-term purposes for foreign nationals who wish to open a Portuguese company or those who have the skills to engage in independent activities.
Depending on your nationality, as well as the independent professional activity you wish to engage in, we can recommend the most suitable course of action before you decide to submit your application to the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin.
Documents required for the Portugal D2 visa
As for all types of visas, the applicant is required to meet a number of requirements, as well as to provide essential documents.
The following documents are required for the D2 visa Portugal:
- Application form: the filled in document, signed by the applicant; only digital forms are taken into account;
- Photographs: 2 photographs are required, one of which is included/pasted in the application form;
- Insurance: a travel medical insurance valid for the duration is the stay is mandatory; it must cover urgent medical care, other medical expenses, and repatriation in case of death;
- Criminal record: issued by the authorities in the applicant’s country of origin or any other country in which the applicant has resided for more than one year; the police clearance is generally authenticated and stamped by the authorities;
- Others: proof of means of subsistence (work contract, work contract promise, statement of responsibility, other means of showing adequate income).
These documents above are required by the authorities when one applies for a D2 visa for Portugal irrespective of the activity the individual will engage in (be it an independent activity or acquiring the status of migrant entrepreneur).
If you wish to apply for another type of visa, such as the one for foreign investments in real estate property (subject to a minimum investment) our team can answer your questions.
We can also help you if you wish to retire to Portugal.
The Portugal D2 visa for independent professional activity
This type of visa can be applied for by foreign nationals who wish to remain in the country to perform an independent professional activity.
Proper qualifications in their field of study or work are essential.
In some cases, the applicant may be asked to submit a statement from the competent authorities in his or her country of origin stating the professional competence for the said activity.
Proof of Portuguese knowledge is not required in particular for this type of visa, however, it is reasonably expected of those who plan on engaging in independent professional activities in the country.
The D2 visa for Portugal for migrant entrepreneurs
The D2 visa used for entrepreneurship purposes is a suitable option for those looking to open a company in Portugal or make another business investment.
When the Portugal D2 visa is used for a startup, the business owner will also need to provide evidence of having signed a contract with a certified incubator in the country, as per the rules for the Startup Visa Program set forth by the Minister of Economy.
Our Portugal immigration agents can give you more details about company formation in the country.
According to the authorities, between 2012 and 2021 there have been 10,170 applications for residence permits for investment activities. The numbers were the following, according to nationality:
- 5,000 Chinese applicants
- 1,038 Brazilian applicants;
- 476 Turkish applicants;
- 433 South African applicants and 409 Russian applicants.
Contact us if you want to apply for a D2 visa for Portugal. We can help you throughout all the application steps.