Many British nationals choose to retire to more sunny European countries and Spain and Portugal are their top choices with an estimated 39% of the British living in Portugal being 65 and over. However, UK citizens can find that Portugal is an attractive country before they decide to retire. They can purchase property, open a business or relocate to Portugal for employment purposes.
A country with spectacular beaches and rich history, Portugal offers options for those who wish to live in Lisbon and other large cities but also to immigrants who are looking for picturesque areas to retire. In case you want to immigrate to Portugal from UK, our team of attorneys is at your disposal.
In this article, our team of Portugal immigration specialists describes the main manners in which British citizens can reside long-term in the country. Foreign nationals who wish to know more details about a particular situation described herein can seek out our agents to receive personalized information. We can also give you details on how to obtain Portugal citizenship.
Moving to Portugal from the UK
British citizens will find that it is fairly easy to move to Portugal because of the UK’s treatment as part of the EU. While it is still uncertain how these regulations will change once the Brexit becomes effective (based on a deal or no-deal Brexit), UK nationals will not encounter any impediments in applying for the right type of visa or residence permit in Portugal, as required. For the time being, they can travel to Portugal without a visa and apply for a residence permit when they intend to stay for long periods and work, as per their particular case. One of our immigration lawyers in Portugal can provide UK nationals with detailed information as needed should the legislation in force change.
British citizens can acquire the right to reside in Portugal with one of the following permits:
- for employment: British who have obtained an employment contract with a Portuguese company or those who are subject to intra-company transfers.
- for study purposes: students or individuals who wish to continue their studies at a Portuguese university; this can represent the first step to relocate to Portugal;
- for Independent work: self-employed individuals, entrepreneurs, and investors who will work or open a business in the country; our team of Portugal immigration agents can provide details.
- as a highly qualified professional: highly skilled workers such as researchers who have been invited by a higher education institute or research centers.
- for retirement: UK nationals who wish to retire in sunny Portugal; based on proof of sufficient income for the applicant; a popular option for moving to Portugal.
Each of these types of residence permits is applied for before the applicant decides to come to the country and continue his or her stay for more than three months. Our team of agents who specialize in immigration to Portugal can provide applicants with complete details about the documents that need to be submitted when making the application. We recommend getting in touch with our team before you submit the application with the Embassy of Portugal or the Consulate General of Portugal (located in London). One should reach out to our agents for information on how residency through real estate investment or through the Portuguese golden visa may become available after Brexit.
Our team can also help you if you are interested in obtaining Portugal citizenship, after having lived in the country continuously for several years.
Residence permit applications for those who immigrate to Portugal from UK
UK nationals who submit their application for a work or residence permit in Portugal are expected to provide the following documents:
- Photographs: two recent and identical ones;
- ID: their valid identification document, which can be a passport;
- Criminal record: the one issued by the UK authorities;
- Supporting documentation: any agreements, contracts, business plans that confirm their chosen residence permit application.
- Others: depending on the particular situation, other documents may be needed, such as tax registration conformation, social security registration confirmation, and others.
UK nationals who need more information about the documents they need to submit to the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate can reach out to our agents for more detailed information. Our team will ask you to provide us with relevant information about your intention to stay in Portugal and will be able to offer personalized counseling once you provide certain details.
According to international statistics, we have the following details on immigration from the UK to Portugal:
- according to a report issued by Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF), there were 26,445 UK nationals living in Portugal in 2018;
- out of the total number, the primary age group is between ages 15 to 64: 55,9%;
- the second age group is 65 and over: 39%;
- only 5.3% of British citizens below the age of 15 live in Portugal.
One of our Portugal immigration agents can assist you if you wish to immigrate to Portugal from UK. As highlighted in the statistics, UK nationals make up for a diverse age distribution and they choose to relocate to the county both for employment purposes and also for retirement. Contact us for personalized assistance.